Speed Sudoku

Speed Sudoku - Play web sudoku puzzle games online for free!

Ready to play fast-paced sudoku races online? Create an account & start playing!

The Future of Speed Sudoku

The official source of Speed Sudoku news
Forum rules
Please read the forum guidelines before posting.

The Future of Speed Sudoku

Postby sudoking on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:48 pm

UPDATE: Speed Sudoku is staying open! :mrgreen:

After almost 5 years, I'm admitting to myself that I have to give up on further developing Speed Sudoku. Basically it loses too much money and I have no time to take care of it. I actually shut down the website for 5 hours until Sandsam convinced me otherwise. The main server has been permanently shut down so I took out a few features like live chat to make this work on my basic webhosting account. Now the opponent progress meters don't work and everything is slow. We'll see how this goes... at the very least everyone will have a chance to say "goodbye" and exchange contact info with their friends.

Please visit SudokuCup which has sudoku races and even tournaments. Hopefully many of you will join there and stay in touch!

Thank you all for playing and making Speed Sudoku a nice little community. I issued partial refunds to those who recently purchased Premium Membership.
Beginner sudoking
Webmaster

Re: The Future of Speed Sudoku

Postby Broekie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:43 am

Dear sudoking,

It scared the hell out of me to see the site was down. It's meeting a social need, that's why I think you shouldn't shut it down....
Now maybe we should try and see alltogether if there is any possibility to save the site.
Is it financial support that's needed to keep it running? How much would that be? The players should be asked whether there is any possibility to financially support.... you'll never know
If it won't be possible anyway, please be clear and inform people about the time period that's left until closing the doors. After so many years in my opinion the members of the community have rights as well...
Let's see what's possible with united strength..... ?
Master Broekie

Medals: 11
Easy Puzzle Medal (3) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (3) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (3)

Postby Broekie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 am

Sudoking,
could you please make this post more obvious, so people notice?
I think it won't be seen this way....
Master Broekie

Easy Puzzle Medal (3) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (3) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (3)

Postby Broekie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 am

SUDOKU-ALERT!!!! Please read carefully!
Master Broekie

Postby lily54 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Broekie wrote:Dear sudoking,

It scared the hell out of me to see the site was down. It's meeting a social need, that's why I think you shouldn't shut it down....
Now maybe we should try and see alltogether if there is any possibility to save the site.
Is it financial support that's needed to keep it running? How much would that be? The players should be asked whether there is any possibility to financially support.... you'll never know
If it won't be possible anyway, please be clear and inform people about the time period that's left until closing the doors. After so many years in my opinion the members of the community have rights as well...

Agree!
Expert lily54

Medals: 10
Easy Puzzle Medal (2) Medium Puzzle Medal (3) Hard Puzzle Medal (2) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (3)

Postby hyeny72 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Broekie wrote:Dear sudoking,

Agree!!!
Average hyeny72

Medals: 6
Easy Puzzle Medal (1) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (1) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Postby sevenethan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Also agree!!!!
Guru sevenethan

Medals: 7
Easy Puzzle Medal (1) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (2) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Postby Sandsam on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Dear Sudoking, what a great surprise to learn my thank you message had the effect to convince you on reopening the site, at least while we can say good-by to other players and friends in the community. You were so sensitive to my words! I do really appreciate your effort.
Again, thank you for the good moments and experiences you gave me and for the company of excellent friends I could find through Speed, which has been not only a site for playing Sudoku, but a place for interacting with people all over the world. No other site offers this human view. Therefore, if you find a way we players can help sustain the site, please let me know: you can count with me.
;) Sandsam
Intermediate Sandsam

Medals: 5
Medium Puzzle Medal (1) Hard Puzzle Medal (2) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Postby Broekie on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 am

Dear Sudoking and other sudokufriends,

Do I see it the right way? Is the post befire mine an offer for financial support? This is great! I sincerely hope Sudoking will accept this support to try and keep the site open.... May it be a renewed challenge for him to go on with this wonderful, uniting site.
Good luck to all of us! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Hmm, this wasn't referring to your post, Sandsam. There was an advertisement post, which I was referring to, as I wrote mine. Now it disappeared, as I noticed
Last edited by Broekie on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Broekie

Postby boopi on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:26 am

@ sudoking

I think you should post this very important decision/message straight on the front page of this site (the headlines are a bit small...)

Many thanks for your work on Speed Sudoku =D>
and good luck with your future projects !
Guru boopi

Easy Puzzle Medal (1) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (2) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Postby dpc51 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 am

yes, please let the community know what it would take to keep the site running without your losing money. i would think we should be able to find a way to make this work. thank you for all the effort until now.
Grand Guru dpc51

Easy Puzzle Medal (3) Medium Puzzle Medal (3) Hard Puzzle Medal (3) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Postby sudoking on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 am

Hi everyone,

I thank you all for your concern about Speed Sudoku and offers for support. I also apologize for having shut down the website on Friday without warning! I promise that if I do shut down the site for real, I'll warn everyone beforehand.

Now I have things working better on the new hosting account and progress meters are fixed. I don't need any financial support, in fact now the website doesn\'t cost anything to run! This is now a free website for you too. I took away the ability to purchase premium and now everybody is a premium member :D

My plan is now to let Speed Sudoku run as long as there are people to play. I'll keep an eye on things for the next week or two to make sure there are no bugs due to the change of hosting.

Enjoy and thanks again!
Beginner sudoking
Webmaster

Postby boopi on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 am

excellent news sudoking !!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Guru boopi

Postby Broekie on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:00 pm

This is wonderful news!
Thank you so much, Sudoking, for saving this worldwide friendship/ timepassing/ socializing/ keeping our brains fit-and-who-knows what other benefits- site!
To all players; THE GAME IS STILL ON!!!!!
Sudoking: You made my day!!!
Master Broekie

Postby dp_94 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 pm

MaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaNY Thanks to u Sudoking for this Great Website and News :lol: =D> =D> :) :)
Grand Guru dp_94

Easy Puzzle Medal (2) Medium Puzzle Medal (2) Hard Puzzle Medal (1) Very Hard Puzzle Medal (2)

Next

Return to Announcements